In 1958 Fred and Faith Barnaby followed the calling of the Spirit to inner-city Philadelphia. Together with their three young children they planted a church on N. Broad st. With no outside financial support they learned to trust God completely and wholly for everything. They realized early on that urban church planting is a difficult endeavor, but knowing that the Lord had placed them there provided them with the strength to persevere. The Lord was faithful to his calling and began to add to the church, before too long Greater Church had to find a bigger place to gather. In 1965 they moved into an old store front bar on 2nd and Girard. Keeping the bar intact they sealed it up, filled it with water, and transformed it into a baptismal tank. This prophetic act is a symbol of the work that God had established Greater Church to participate in, that is the Spirit’s work of transforming broken, dead, and life quenching things into beautiful, lively, life giving things.
In 1985 a beautiful 100 year old methodist church in the Kensington section of the city was being prepared to be torn down because it’s dilapidated state, however, God had other plans. Greater Church moved into 2021 E. Allegheny Ave. and began rebuilding the property. To this day the congregation gathers there to build each other up in the unity of the Spirit. Becoming one in Christ, all are welcomed to be members of His body in Kensington, to be broken and poured out for the world around them.